Why we got massacred yesterday:
So many articles out there breaking down the reasons why the Fins lost so badly to the Cowboys. But it's not that difficult to figure. Here's why we lost:
- Time of possession. The Fins' offense couldn't get it going in the first half as it served up its usual go-round of three and outs. The defense was forced to stay on the field way too long. It eventually killed them.
- No pressure on Tony Romo. At all. None. I wrote about it here and over at The Phish Tank -- this game was going to be won or lost by how our defense pressured Romo. Romo had time to do his nails, do some early X-mas shopping online, sketch a few portraits of some of the fans in attendance, and throw to his receivers while in the pocket yesterday. In the end, the only thing Jason Taylor sacked was a paper sign hung up by some Dallas fans on the sidelines.
- Trent Green.
- Yes Cam Cameron again went away from the run way too early. No, like you, I have no idea where Ronnie Brown was during the final stretch of the game. No, I have no idea what Ronnie did to piss off Cam this much. My theory: Cam has Jesse Chatman on his fantasy team. You got a better explanation? Shoot.
- Jason Allen. Jason F$%#ing Allen!!!
- The Dallas Cowboys. Realistically, I had no faith going into this game whatsoever. I predicted a Dolphin win because I thought, maybe.. just maybe, our defense would play well enough to make a difference. It was a pick based purely on faith. My faith betrayed me like the rat bastard that it is. Or maybe I'm just a dumb-ass homer. This is what I get for ignoring Football Geek and going with Fin Fan. Fact is, the Dallas Cowboys are a better football team. Better QB, better offensive line, better running game, better wide receivers, better special teams, better defense. Not just yesterday. But talent wise. I'd trade any of their skills players for ours. Sometimes -- most of the time -- it really is about talent. They are who they are and we are... well... we're the Miami Dolphins. And you know what? There are about 25 teams in the NFL with more talent than our Dolphins. So the odds are clearly stacked against us.
The Solution: 0-2 is a steep hole to climb out of. As I pointed out yesterday, starting off 0-2 more often than not, means no post season for you. And it's not like this team is going to magically sprout talent in a few weeks. We are who we are. So the only solution is to keep on grinding. Keep on swinging. Keep on fighting.
And start John Beck.
I have my reasons why, which I will detail in a longer piece later today or tomorrow. And it's not just because Trent Green sucks and it's not a knee-jerk reaction. But we'll discuss this later.
For now, have a drink on me and waste away in the mellow-dark sounds of Alice In Chains, and let their sorrow nurture your soul. We're all in this hole together.
and.. go fins ...