Between his vehement anger over the bullshit, Inception-like fumble non-call on Sunday and breakdown of some key offensive numbers today, the guy has had a banner week in FN's book.
It's some startling shit. Considering this is the unit we all figured would be leading the way during the 2010 season, it's actually been one of the main reasons we're currently facing a bit of an uphill climb towards the playoffs. Let's look at some of the culprits:
- I think first and foremost this starts with the OL. The line was cutup, switched around, dipsy doodled (note: not a word), reshaped, reformatted, misaligned and all around fucked up. We lose Garner, release Thomas for performance reasons and Grove for ca$h reasons. The line can pass protect very well (usually easier) but there are key breakdowns in the run blocking scheme. We have guards that can't pull and a rather pedestrian center.
- We have an offensive coordinator that - lately - has defined the stubborn 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' picture from the Simpsons we use here all the time. The pinnacle of this being the infamous 3rd and 6 Wildcat against the Pats as we were driving. If we do not find a way to evolve and utilize our weapons (Brandon Marshall is on our team and how about some more HB screens?? Hello?), then we are totally hosed.
- A developing QB who is still a bit timid with the ball. He's learning every game (I thought he was particularly evolved last game, looking at several receivers against a ferocious rush) but he's still leaving some plays on the field.
- Mediocre usage of the Beast THUS FAR. Guy needs to be in the slot more and we have to find ways to move him around to create space, even against double teams. Denver worked wonders with this last year. How can we not find ways to steal their recipe??
- The unflattering running game (hand-in-hand with bullet #1) that has yielded all of 1 running TD this year (just ask the asshole that drafted Ronnie Brown). The big holes of last year are not there for Ricky to pile drive through. Ronnie looks like my sister and I working through the routine for our 'Star Search' audition.
Did I miss anything?? What do we need to do to get out of this slump? Is it something that just isn't going to happen this year until maybe we start playing the Detroits and Clevelands of the world???
Your thoughts in the comments.