Let's be honest: anyone that thinks the F.O. has the testicular fortitude to bet the house on Mallett (and given his history of drug use, don't ya think there's a good chance of some WHORE or two in his background??) is fuckin' crazy. So, there's been a lot of talk about the Dolphins addressing a serious need along the offensive line by drafting Florida G/C Mike Pouncey. Let's get into it:
- Big, strong and athletic
- Can play either Guard or Center in a pinch, which you know Sparano loves
- Lynchpin of a strong running offensive line in 2010, which featured 4-300 yard performances in the SEC. And if you know our team and our offensive philosophy, I'm sure we want to go back to some semblance of a power running game - especially with Daboll running the offense.
- Is the athletic pulling guard we didn't have in last year's offense.
- A good player with great potential that will be playing for the next 10 years barring significant injury.
- Is not Maurkice
- Had a bad habit last season of hiking the ball 20 yards over the head of his QB
- If we stick with the #15 slot, that's probably a bit too high for a player of his caliber.
- Is a FUCKING offensive lineman
Conclusion: Personally, I despise the idea of taking a 'need' at a point where we should be taking BPA. We need someone dynamic on certainly offense and maybe even defense if someone falls and is not a 3-4 DE. This is not a great draft for OL but there will be opportunities in later rounds to pick up some value/depth and there's always praying to Jesus that the Great White Buffalo, Nate Garner, comes back relatively healthy and stays that way. So, Pouncey: nice kid that will be a great player for someone preferably not in our conference. Just not the right player at this time for us as there are simply too many holes to fill as our offensive makeup at the moment would put even the most fervent Dolphins fan to sleep.
Look, this F.O. has had a few opportunities to draft impact players with spotty results. We take another fucking offensive lineman over a dynamic guy that can MAKE PLAYS and there's a good chance you'll come here on the Friday morning after the draft to find some commemorative Dude post dedicated to my loving memory while Sarah McLachlan's I Will Remember You plays on a loop.
So please don't do it, Dolphins. I don't want to die yet!